What is TMJ?
The temporomandibular joint, or the TMJ, is the hinge that connects your jaw to your skull. Problems with this important joint are also frequently called just TMJ. TMD frequently cause intense pain in either side of the face. This pain can be temporary or can last for several years. Several symptoms of TMJ can be caused by other factors, but can include:
• Pain in the face, jaw, neck, or shoulders
• Clicking or grating sounds when you chew.
• Difficulty chewing or biting
• Swelling in the face
• Toothaches, headaches, or earaches
• A ringing in the ears
• A jaw that is stuck in the open or closed position
What causes TMJ?
• There are several factors that can lead to TMJ. Some of the causes for TMJ are:
• Teeth grinding or clenching
• Stress, which leads to excessive pressure to your facial or jaw muscles
To treat TMJ, our friendly dentist, Dr. Mario J. Roybal may prescribe medication, recommend a splint or a night guard, or correct a biting problem depending on the severity of your case. If you have any questions about TMJ in Biloxi, Mississippi, or any of the other services we offer, please contact our friendly staff today. We are devoted to giving you a comfortable, beautiful smile.